The East Kent group wishes to make several grants, in amounts suitable to the nature of the project, to deserving students from East Kent to assist in their summer activities in 2018.
The awards will be based on the relevance of the project to the degree courses and the likelihood that the amount will be sufficient, when added to other resources in hand, to achieve the stated goals. These grants will not be limited to activities that entail travel abroad nor will they be greater than £750 per student.
1. Students should be in their first or second year of undergraduate study at the University of Oxford, or third year of a four year undergraduate course.
2. Students should be from East Kent, defined as having their main residential address (or school address when completing their secondary education) in East Kent, which includes the district council areas of Ashford, Canterbury, Dover, Shepway and Thanet, plus the town of Faversham.
1. Applications should be made on the form available from the group and clearly show eligibility. (Forms are available by emailing the group.)
2. Applicants should describe their summer project or activity clearly and concisely, with particular attention to relevance to the course of academic study. A budget must be included, showing details of other potential grants and personal contribution.
3. Applicants must include a detailed, signed, letter (not an email) of support from their academic tutor, not just a certification of approval.
4. The opening date for receipt of applications is Monday 23 April 2018 and final date for receipt of applications is Friday 1 June 2018. Priority will be given to early applications.
5. Applications must be sent to: the East Kent bursary secretary, Mrs D Worth, West Hill House, The Street, Finglesham, Kent CT14 0NG.
6. The awards will be made by a panel of four members of the East Kent group. The group will endeavour to communicate its decisions as soon as possible, to enable students to plan their summer projects accordingly.
7. The successful applicants will be invited to speak to the East Kent group at its annual general meeting in the autumn of 2018.
8. Any queries should be emailed to bursary secretary Diane Worth.