Customising your website
You can customise the design of your website, including changing the header image and menu structure. To do so:
- Click on ‘Design’ in the left hand toolbar and then ‘Customise’ from the drop-down menu.
Some of these options are already pre-determined, including the fonts, logo and colours, and should not be altered (see section 11 – Technical specifications).
A basic menu has also been set up for you with ‘Home’, ‘About, ‘Events’, ‘Contact’ and ‘Join’ menu headers and pages linked to them. The associated pages have been populated with placeholder text and images, which you can edit. To do this:
- Click on ‘Site’ in the left hand toolbar, followed by ‘Pages’ in the drop-down menu – this will show a list of all your website pages
- Hover over the page title you want to edit and click on it. The example below shows where you would click to edit the ‘About’ page, circled in red:
- To change the page title: Click on the title (circled in red on the screenshot below) and make your edits to the text.
- To add body text: Click on the area where the placeholder text is located (circled in green on the screenshot below), delete the existing text and start typing your content.
- To change the featured image at the top of the page:
- Click on ‘Featured Image’ in the right hand toolbar (circled in blue on the screenshot below)
- Then click on the image that appears below (if you have an existing featured image) or ‘Set featured image’ (if you have yet to select a featured image).
- You can then either select an existing image from the library in the subsequent screen or click ‘Add new’ in the left hand corner to add a new image.
- To add an image in the body text:
- Click on the ‘+’ sign (circled in yellow in the screenshot below) or where it says ‘Start writing or type / to choose a block’ if the ‘+’ sign is not yet appearing and then the ‘+’ sign and select ‘Image’.
- Then either choose an existing image from the library or add a new one by selecting ‘Add New’ in the left hand corner.
Note: Remember to click ‘update’ in the top right hand corner of the screen after you make any changes to your pages or the changes will not be saved!
The ‘Contact’ page includes a contact form for you to receive enquiries. Details submitted via this form will be sent to the email address that you originally requested to have linked to the WordPress account.
You may wish to add other menu headers and pages, for example, details of committee members (see section 6 - Changing the menu navigation).
If you have social media accounts, you can add links to these on your site. To do this:
- Click on ‘Design’ in the left-hand toolbar and then ‘Customise’ from the drop-down menu
- Click on ‘Widgets’ in the left-hand toolbar on the next screen and a new toolbar will appear
- Select from the new left-hand toolbar where you want the link to appear (see screenshot below – the choices are circled in red)
- Click on the ‘Add a Widget’ button and scroll down on the menu that appears to the right of the left-hand toolbar until you find ‘Social Icons’ (see screenshot below, circled in red).
The title is automatically preset to ‘Follow us’. To change this, click into the box below ‘Title’ (circled in red below) and amend the text.
- Select under the ‘Size’ option what size you want your link to appear as (circled in red below - small, medium, large – you can preview these and change if necessary)
- Click on the ‘Add an icon’ button (circled in red below) and copy and paste here the web link for your social media page
- Select ‘Done’ (circled in red below). Repeat this process until you have added all of the social media links you wish to add.
Note: Remember to click ‘Save Draft’ in the top left hand corner of the screen after you make any changes in this section or the changes will not be saved!
WordPress support for customising your site